What is clear aligner therapy?
If you suffer from crooked or crowded teeth and wish you could straighten your smile without the noticeable, traditional fixed metal braces, your wish is granted! At Park Smiles NYC, our skilled and experienced orthodontic team offers clear aligner therapy utilizing Invisalign clear aligners, the discreet and comfortable way to attain a straighter, healthier and more beautiful smile!
Clear aligners are a nearly invisible solution that offers patients all the benefits of metal bracesr ceramic braces – and then some. Each set of Invisalign aligners is designed to make small changes to the alignment of your teeth. As you switch sets of aligners every two weeks, your teeth are gradually and gently guided to their ideal positions.
Invisalign clear aligners are an increasingly popular choice for patients who are searching for a more discreet orthodontic treatment option. Instead of using metal brackets and wires like traditional fixed braces, clear aligners use a series of custom-made, computer software-generated aligners to straighten your smile. Clear aligners offer an array of benefits and advantages, including:
- Appearance. It’s hard not to notice someone with braces in their mouth. After all, those brackets and wires are hard to miss. On the other hand, clear aligners go unnoticed most of the time. You’d have to pay very close attention to realize that someone is wearing aligners. This is one of the main reasons so many patients today choose clear aligners over traditional braces.
- Comfort Clear aligners are much more comfortable than braces. Granted, there’s always somelevel of pain and discomfort when your teeth start to move. However, a removable tray is much less painful than attached brackets and wires that can’t and won’t be removed until your treatment is completed. You’re also not likely to cut your cheeks, lips and tongue with aligners as with braces.
- Convenience and hygiene. The ability to remove clear aligners when eating and cleaning is another major reason why many prefer clear aligners to braces. Unlike traditional braces, food doesn’t get stuck in clear aligners, because there are no brackets or wires – plus you cannot remove braces like you can clear aligners.
When it comes to cleaning, it’s very easy to clean your teeth and gums with removable clear aligners. You simply remove your clear aligners and you’re all set to clean your teeth as you normally would. However, the same cannot be said of braces, because brushing your teeth, especially at the gumlines, is very difficult when wearing braces – and flossing your teeth is next to impossible. As a result, you’re more likely to develop dental cavities and/or gum disease with braces as compared to clear aligners.
- Progress is easier to monitor. With metal braces, it can be a trial-and-error situation that gives no definitive projection of what’s to come, because sometimes it’s harder to expect the result and gauge their progress. On the other hand, with clear aligners, patients undergo artificial intelligence-based treatment planning, plus it’s easy to monitor the actual progress of clear aligners due to their removability.
- Duration of Treatment. As opposed to traditional braces, clear aligners typically straighten your teeth in less time, because braces move each tooth individually, while one-piece aligners are able to provide force to the teeth as a whole.
- Fewer follow up visits. With traditional braces, you can expect to see your orthodontist for monthly follow ups. There are also cases where you may need an “emergency” visit for broken or loose brackets or wires. When you’re undergoing clear aligner therapy, you change your aligning trays at home every one to two weeks depending on the case – and there are no brackets or wires that can cause problems. In general, the follow up visits with clear aligners are every six to eight weeks.
At Park Smiles NYC, we use Invisalign clear aligners, known as the gold standard in clear aligner therapy. Invisalign clear aligners offer a wide array of advantages over other aligner brands, including:
- Made of the best material. Invisalign clear aligners are the only clear aligners made of patented SmartTrack material made by Align Technology. This state-of-the-art material is stronger and less prone to breakage – resulting in superior reliability, durability and effectiveness in the treatment process.
- Greater comfort and ease. Also thanks to Invisalign’s SmartTrack technology, Invisalign aligners offer a more secure and comfortable fit, plus they’re easier to put on and take off.
- Greater safety and peace-of-mind. Invisalign aligners are FDA-approved and BPA and BPS-free. They’re also free from gluten and latex.
- Invisalign offers more options. Since teeth straightening is never a one-size-fits-all process, Invisalign offers the largest array of options for length of treatment, depending on the severity of your malocclusion. The Invisalign options include:
- Invisalign Full:The most common category of Invisalign, used for the treatment of complex cases of malocclusion. Treatment time can last from one year to 18 months, and your orthodontist can order as many aligners as are needed.
- Invisalign Express 10:Meant for milder cases of malocclusion and includes up to 10 aligners.
- Invisalign Express 5:Similar to Invisalign Express 10, except you receive five aligner trays.
- Invisalign Teen:These aligners are made for the developing mouths of adolescents, and come with a handy compliance indicator so you know if your teen is wearing them properly.
A great first impression begins with the iTero intraoral scanner!
Yet another state-of-the-art tool we use to enhance your Invisalign treatment is the iTero intraoral scanner, a digital impression system that digitally captures a detailed 3D model of your teeth and gums. Through the use of a radiation-free and painless handheld laser wand, your mouth is scanned by your orthodontist. In as few as two to three minutes, the laser renders a digitally perfect 3D impression of your teeth and soft tissue structures.
During the impression process with the iTero scanner, you can breathe as you normally would and can even pause during the process if you’d like to ask a question. Not only is it much faster to complete a full scan, but there’s no messy goo, and its accuracy is unprecedented. By providing immediate feedback, the intraoral scanner saves both dental professionals and patients time and frustration.
The iTero scanner provides a powerful digital solution that allows us to help patients visualize their treatment outcome, plan faster, make real-time adjustments, and easily track progress.
Are clear aligners more expensive than traditional braces?
Where clear aligner therapy used to cost two to three times more than traditional braces, the difference in treatment cost between clear aligners and braces today is negligible. And when you consider all the benefits and advantages of Invisalign clear aligners, it’s a value that’s hard to beat.
Schedule your consultation today!
When you’re ready to take the next step to orthodontic treatment and the beautiful, healthy and straight smile of your dreams, schedule your consultation at Park Smiles NYC at (212) 988-6724.
Attaining a healthy, straight smile is like a Walk in the Park – at Park Smiles NYC!