Sufferers of TMJ often experience jaw pain, radiating facial pain, recurring tension headaches, and other debilitating symptoms. Botox® is a versatile prescription injection normally associated with cosmetic treatments (i.e. reducing the appearance of wrinkles). But what most people don’t know is that Botox® was first approved by the FDA as a first line treatment for chronic migraines – and it’s now used routinely for frontline therapeutic treatment of TMJ.
At Park Smiles NYC, we are pleased to offer Botox® treatment for our patients who suffer from this painful condition.
The Benefits of Botox® for TMJ Relief
- When injected into facial muscles afflicted with soreness and discomfort, Botox® relieves TMJ and jaw tension. The injections also often eliminate headaches resulting from teeth grinding, and, in cases of severe stress, Botox® can even minimize locked jaw.
- A non-surgical procedure, Botox® injections are administered in the convenience and comfort of our office at Park Smiles NYC.
- Botox® injections do not hurt and most patients describe the feeling as no more than a slight pinprick.
- Botox® is a safe alternative to traditional treatment for most people who experience jaw tension or have a TMJ disorder. The active molecule of Botox® is a highly refined purified protein.
- The procedure is usually quick, straightforward and effective.
- Relief is also quick. Most patients notice a reduction in muscle soreness within one or two days of their first treatment, although relief can take up to a week.
Botox® for TMJ
During the Botox® procedure, Dr. Cohen will place some ice along each side of your jaw to numb it, and proceed to administer the Botox® injections into the masseter muscles.
Treatments are progressive and typically last about three months. Keeping the muscle weak for a prolonged period of time makes it possible that patients will break the habit of grinding when they are stressed. Some patients only require a couple of treatments to completely break the cycle of grinding and do not need Botox® treatments again. Other patients need more treatments to break the cycle.
During an initial consultation, Dr. Cohen will evaluate your individual needs and provide you with treatment options. Each individual case is unique and requires a customized dosage of Botox®. Dr. Cohen is experienced in determining the proper dosage necessary for each individual patient.
To find out if Botox® injections are the best treatment option for your TMJ symptoms, call Park Smiles NYC today and schedule a complimentary consultation with Dr. Cohen.
Dr. Ruben Cohen, Park Smiles NYC
Announced in 2017 in New York Times Magazine as one of the top 20 oral surgeons and “Super Specialists” in New York City – selected by local medical experts!